Here are some ideas for extension exercises:
- Add a site-wide sidebar that holds navigation links
- Create date-based navigation links. For instance, there would be a list of links with the names of the months and when you click on the month it shows you all the articles published in that month.
- Track the number of times an article has been viewed. Add a
view_countcolumn to the article, then in the
articles_controller.rbjust increment that counter. Or, better yet, add a method in the
article.rbmodel that increments the counter and call that method from the controller.
- Once you are tracking views, create a list of the three "most popular" articles
- Create a simple RSS feed for articles using the
respond_tomethod and XML view templates